Good Day, and welcome to our Secret Steampunk Gift Exchange program.
We have created this page on the website to give a central point of reference for all the participants. Using Facebook groups, event pages, or other social media venues ends up making a project like this an endless exercise in hunting for information through the multitude of posts, comments, and private messages. We have decided to run the project through this page on this site to keep the information secure and easy to manage for everyone.
On this page you will find the information on how to sign up to be a participant for the Secret Steampunk, the sign up form, the rules we will ask you to follow, and all the relevant updates that will be added. We will be publishing the link to just this page on Facebook as soon as it is ready to go. You do not have to be a member of any of the groups here on Subgenres to participate, nor do you have to pay any registration fee, this is free to everyone.
The whole goal of this project is to bring good cheer and the world of Steampunks across the globe just a bit closer. Covid-19 has made the day to day functioning of most of the world's population pretty restricted and somewhat mundane. We are not able to spend time with loved ones or go out and celebrate during the Holiday Season.
This is going to hit some people pretty hard. Most of us are already feeling a pretty significant Cabin Fever claustrophobia and that we are cut off from most of the other souls out there. The Secret Steampunk Gift Exchange is meant to make everyone's day a tad brighter and less lonely.
We are not affiliating this project with any religious alignment. It is merely a practice in making all of us, no matter the believe or non-believe, a little closer and celebrating the good in all of us. So, please join us in our Secret Steampunk Gift Exchange, and together we can make the world a little happier.
This project will most likely morph into a year round program in which Steampunks can develop new friendships with other Steamers in other parts of the world. We hope that through this initiative we can bring the multitude of Steampunk groups around the world together through meaningful exchange and friendship.
When you sign up you can indicate whether you would like to be included on a list of Steampunk Pen Pals, but that is just optional, certainly not mandatory. You will have to make that decision with the person you are paired with as to whether you wish to continue correspondence. If you would like to correspond with more participants, or change it up after the gift exchange, you will have to contact us and let us know.
How The Secret Steampunk Gift Exchange Works:
1. Please fill out the sign up sheet found at the bottom of the page. We will ask you for you name, address, and other pertinent information. However, that information will not be shared with anyone. This information is only to ensure that we match you with a partner that you are comfortable corresponding with. We will send you an acceptance email in response to your signing up.
2. We will review your information and store it in a secure location. Once we have determined a good match for you we will send you an email with the necessary information for you to start the exchange. It has been determined that in order to offer our participants as much security as possible we will be only sending the mailing address of the person you are exchanging with. There will be no names to match with the address. Please use "Secret Steampunk" as the name on the package for the recipient, as well as your return address.
*It is up to the participants to determine how much personal information they wish to divulge and whether they wish to continue correspondence. Subgenres, The Society for the Ethical Treatment of Kraken, and Natasha Klassen (and any volunteers or employees under her employ) do not take responsibility for any behaviour or circumstances that may arise from participation in the Secret Steampunk Gift Exchange/Pen Pal Program. Please be careful with personal information and respect other's privacy.
3. It is expected that the participants exchange packages within the dates of December 1 to December 31st, 2020. You may wish to correspond or send several packages back and forth, however, we only require that you send one package. The gift can be a homemade item that is Steampunk themed or related. Or, it can be purchased. In order for everyone to be able to participate we ask that the gift be valued at $10. No food products, nothing profane or inappropriate, and no abusive or harassing material will be allowed.
*We ask that anyone receiving inappropriate items or materials notify us immediately so that we can remove the offending person from our program. Subgenres, The Society for the Ethical Treatment of Kraken, and the Secret Steampunk Gift Exchange/Pen Pal Program will not be able to contact police, legal, or judiciary entities on your behalf, but we will blacklist anyone who commits an offense from this site and this program. It is up to the individual to seek enforcement, legal, and judiciary proceedings against a perpetrator if a crime is committed against them.
4. You are welcome to post on The Society for the Ethical Treatment of Kraken's Public Group on Facebook when you receive a gift to show it off and say thank you. We ask that you remain gracious, thankful, and appreciate the gift sent to you. Someone sent you a gift out of the goodness of the heart, please remember that this program is about sending warmth and comfort to our Steampunk Brethren.
*It is our greatest desire to match participants up internationally so that we can create bridges through kindness to other countries, cultures, and people. One of the things we wish to encourage is a small message included with the gift that says a little about where you are from, what Steampunk means to you, and a heartfelt hello from your part of the world.
1. This is an 18+ activity.
2. All participants are expected to conduct themselves with curtesy, common sense, respect, and decency. There will be no tolerance for rudeness, abuse, or harassment. Please report these incidents to us so that we can remove the offending participant.
3. This is not a dating service or a way to create intimate relationships other than platonic friendship, we ask that all participants realize this when receiving information for their Secret Steampunk.
4. Do not send any offensive material/items, nothing sexual or provocative in nature, no food products that may expire or cause issues with borders, or any material that may cause the recipient upset or harm.
5. If you should change your mind after signing up it is your responsibility to inform us so that we can remove you from the Secret Steampunk mailing list. We do not monitor the exchanges, so any change desire to participate must be sent to us directly at KrakenRus2020@gmail.com.
6. You must arrange your own level of correspondence after we have sent you the contact information for your Secret Steampunk, please send your gift within the month of December.
Secret Steampunk Gift Exchange
Submission Now Closed
The Society for the Ethical Treatment of Kraken would like to thank everyone who signed up to participate in our first ever Secret Steampunk gift exchange program. We will be putting up information for our Pen Pal program in January 2021.
We will have a sign up sheet for the Pen Pal program available at the beginning of January so please come back and sign up.
We are so pleased to be able to announce that we have over 30 Secret Steampunks participating in this exchange.
We want to wish everyone a safe and healthy Holiday Season this 2020!